Wednesday, March 6, 2013


As the month of March moves on, those of us that are lucky enough to live here in Alaska start getting outdoors a whole lot more. The days are getting much longer and the sun is high enough in the sky during the day that it actually provides some warmth when it is up. Yesterday, I was able to get out during one of those sunny days and do what I love, click the shutter button!

I think the final count on moose yesterday ended up being 14. I saw a few on my way to Healy with Jeni in the morning, a few while running the dogs, and a couple near the house. They are huge critters that amaze me every time I see them. They survive deep snow, subzero temps for weeks on end, and avoid wolves and bears. Some folks think they are ugly with their long legs and big noses, they call them names such as bog trotters and bell noses, and after all this we wonder why they are cranky sometimes when confronted! We would all be cranky too if we were cold, hungry, and being made fun all the time. I on the other hand can not imagine the Alaska landscape without moose hanging around and think they are beautiful majestic animals. I have enjoyed viewing and hunting moose my entire life. Granted the Shiras moose in Montana is a much smaller version than the Alaskan moose found up North here. The difference in size between the two would be liking comparing a quarter horse from the Kentucky Derby to a Clydesdale from the Budweiser wagon. They all are just big whether your in Montana or Alaska. So, next time your out and about in the outdoors and see a bog trotter take a moment and enjoy!



In just a couple short years this cute little guy will be sporting a 50 to 60 inch rack!

Mama keeping her eye on me.


Feeding on a wind swept slope near Healy.


One more thing that moose have to avoid! OUCH!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment