Monday, February 11, 2013

Snow, snow and more snow!

The start of the Denali Doubles Race in Cantwell 

Snow, snow, and more snow! Over the last few days Cantwell has been getting plenty of it! It is starting to remind of the big snow years in Yellowstone when I was a little munchkin driving my parents nuts. I loved big snow piles, riding snow machines into the park, and watching wildlife in their natural habitat. I have found that I still love those same things. Now, I might complain a bit about having to deal with the snow around the house, like shoveling the deck, repairing the snow blower, and working on snow machines that won't start but, I still love the snow. I think I might be driving my wife crazy since I have been complaining about wanting to photograph something that has color outside instead of snow, ice, and willows with no foliage but, once again I really do love the snow.

You are probably starting to wonder what I love about it then? Well as I mentioned earlier I love the big snow piles, riding snow machines, and watching wildlife in their winter habitat. However, I love the big snow piles for a different reason now that I am older. I used to enjoy playing on them, digging snow caves in them, and playing king of the mountain on them. Now I get pure enjoyment out of watching Jaydyn do those same activities that I used to do when I was younger.

I still love snow machining for the same reasons as I did when I was younger. I love to go fast through an untouched field of waist deep powder, being on top of mountains and being able to see forever, and boon docking through the snowy timber of the river bottoms. I just appreciate it more now, then I ever did back then. I understand how fortunate I am to be able to get out and enjoy these opportunities that have been given to me.

Watching the wildlife in their winter habitat is also, still very enjoyable for me today. When I watch them today though I understand the struggles of winter for them. I didn't understand it when I was younger. It is so much more beautiful when you understand the circle of life and realize that as humans we are a part of that circle.

These are all the reasons that I still love the snow! Yes, I am sitting here at the kitchen table sipping on a blistering hot cup of tea watching out the window as it dumps more snow outside that I am going to have to go outside and deal with later. It is ok though since, Jaydyn will be by my side bugging me to build yet, another snow man or have a snowball fight with her ( she cheats and makes the rule that I can not throw snow at her). I am just happy that as she grows older she to will love the snow for all the enjoyment it brings.


Chris carving yet another path in the snow 



Tardy choosing a careful line 

Carl enjoying the moment

Broad Pass or home for those of us that live in Cantwell

I love snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment