The Aurora decided to come show off a little yesterday morning! It was around 3 AM when I noticed that they were out. I think, no I know, that Jeni thinks I am crazy when I crawl out of a perfectly warm bed to put on all my cold weather gear and go stand outside for hours on end when it is -25 F outside. The Northern Lights are awesome to photograph and watch though. It is usually very quite outside and is a good time to clear your head and just enjoy one of the awesome natural wonders of this world.
As I stood outside shooting these photos I kept hearing some clicking noises off in the distance that eventually kept getting closer and closer. After about ten minutes the clicking noises were getting very close to me and were joined with some very deep growling noises. It was enough in the darkness of the night to get my blood pumping a little bit faster and get a few hairs on the back of my neck to stand on end even though I was within twenty yards of the house. I turned off my little flashlight that I use to check my camera settings and let my eyes adjust for the darkness of the night. Finally after a minute or so I could make out the faint outlines of some caribou that were moving through the brush rather quickly about 30 yards behind me. I was relieved to know that they were caribou and not a Christmas bear out for a mid winter stroll looking to settle a hungry stomach. I hope all of you someday get a chance to head North and witness the Northern Lights like those of us that live here see fairly often. They truly are amazing!
Hope you enjoy, until next time.
Justin






No comments:
Post a Comment