Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Well, it is official Jaydyn said that it was going to snow the other night when we went to bed and sure enough it did! I woke up, looked outside and snow flakes the size of silver dollars were falling from the sky. The first snow of the year is always exciting for those of us that love winter activities and a drag for those of you that do not. I love to snow machine, X-country ski, kick sled with the dogs, and photograph the Aurora so, needless to say I was just as excited as my little girl was to see the frozen water falling from the sky.

I figure this is a good time to give a quick tip to those of you that pack a camera around in the winter. In order for snow to show up white in your photos and not grey you need to over expose your shots 1 to 1 1/2 f-stops. The reason for this simply is that your cameras meter is calibrated to see green grass not white snow. So, when it sees white snow it thinks that the scene is too bright and stops it down 1 to 1 1/2  f-stops. If your new to the camera stuff just try it and see how it works!  If you don't pack a camera around you should start. Shoot lots of photos of family and friends you will be happy that you did.

The other night while Jeni was working on one of her classes I stepped out on to the deck to see another spectacular Alaska sunset. I grabbed the camera and burned off a couple of shots. Thanks for reading my posts I plan on posting a few times a week through the winter posting photo tips, outdoor tips, and things to do in Alaska and Montana in the winter so check back often.

With love from Alaska

Justin




Keep on playing outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment